For first time ever, votes can be cast on Memorial Day
For the first time ever, the Doña Ana County Clerk’s office will be open on the Memorial Day holiday, Monday, May 30, so people can vote early in the 2016 primary election.
Memorial Day voting will take place from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the county government center, 845 N. Motel Blvd.
“The election officials working the polls and our staff decided that it would be a great idea to promote voting as a way to memorialize those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms,” said Chief Deputy County Clerk Scott Krahling. “Voting is a fundamental part of being American and the least we can do is honor those who gave their lives by being active citizens and voting,” he said. VOTE
Krahling said the clerk’s office has processed more than 1,000 new voter registrations in the week leading up to the May 10 registration deadline. “I’m excited that so many people are ready to vote, especially the 300-plus voters we registered in local high schools,” he said.
Krahling is the only Democrat running for county clerk in the 2016 primary. He will face Maria E. Rodriguez, the only Republican on the ballot, in the November general election.
For more information about the primary election, including early and absentee voting, call the county clerk’s office at 647-7428 and visit https:// donaanacounty.org/elections.
Vote early at the Doña Ana County Government Center, 845 N. Motel Blvd.
Voters can also visit Alternate voting locations starting Saturday, May 21. These locations will be open each day except Sundays and Mondays. The hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Anthony Elementary School, 600 N. Fourth St. in Anthony, New Mexico
• Doña Ana Community College Chaparral Learning Center, 755 Prescott Anthony Drive in Chaparral
• Doña Ana Community College Hatch Learning Center, 219 East Hill St. in Hatch
• Doña Ana Community College Sunland Park Center, 3365 McNutt Road in Sunland Park
• Doña Ana County Government Center, 845 N. Motel Blvd. in Las Cruces
• Sonoma Elementary School, 4201 Northrise St. in Las Cruces
• Thomas Branigan Memorial Library, 200 E. Picacho Ave. in Las Cruces.
Forty voting convenience centers will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on primary election day, Tuesday, June 7. Visit www.dacelections.com forvoting locations.