2020 is ArtForms Artists Association of Las Cruces’ 22nd annual For the Love of Art Month, being celebrated in February at three venues for this year’s member show: Cruces Creatives Gallery, Doña Ana Arts Council Arts and Cultural Center gallery and the Big Picture Gallery.
Here are the dates and other information for their openings and artist receptions:
- 5-8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7, during the monthly downtown Art Ramble, reception at Cruces Creatives, 205 E. Lohman Ave. The show continues through Feb. 29, with the venue open 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, reception at the Doña Ana Arts Council, 1740 Calle de Mercado in Bulletin Plaza. During the reception, the artist of the year award will be presented to Flo Hosa Dougherty. The show runs through Feb. 28. DAAC is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Debra Vance Art studio schedule: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 and 22, noon-4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 9 and 23. The Feb. 22 event includes live music, drawings, door prizes and refreshments. Shows feature original paintings, giclee prints and more. 2200 W. Union Ave. 575-964-7700, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5-7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 21, reception at The Gallery at Big Picture, 2001 E. Lohman Ave., suite 109A. The show runs through March 30. Big Picture is open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday/Friday and 2-5 p.m. Saturday.
For the Love of Art Month’s artist studio tours will be held during three weekends during the month: Feb. 8-9, 15-16 and 22-23, with studios open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturdays, Feb. 8, 15 and 22, and noon-4 p.m. on Sundays, Feb. 9, 16 and 23. (Hours may vary at some venues.)
Different studios will be open each weekend offering visitors an almost unending variation of artwork. There will also be demonstrations and works of art in progress, plus the chance to talk to participating artists. Look for the Blue Flags that will mark each studio. Maps are available in the event guide and an interactive map online at www.artformsnm.org).
Other events tied to For the Love of Art Month, include:
- The biennial Las Colcheras Quilt Guild Show, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Feb. 7-8 at the Las Cruces Convention Center, 680 E. University Ave.; including vendors, workshops, demos, door prizes and special exhibits. Admission is $7, free to under age 12.
- Feb. 1-29, the exhibit For the Love of Watercolor, with works by members of the New Mexico Watercolor Society’s Southern Chapter, at the Frame & Art Center, 1100 N. Main St. A reception will be held 4-7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7. Frame & Art Studio is open 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday.
- A group exhibit will open with a reception 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8 at Lundeen Inn of the Arts, 618 S. Alameda Blvd.
- Memorial Medical Center’s (MMC) Art Initiative Exhibit and SweetHeart Expo will open with a reception, 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 23, in the MMC administration building, 2450 S. Telshor Ave. At the same time, in adjoining conference rooms will be the sixth annual MMC Cardiac Sweetheart Expo.
- Feb. 28-May 28, the inaugural exhibit will be held at New Mexico State University’s new art museum, 1308 E. University Ave., near the intersection with Solano Drive. The exhibit, “Labor: Motherhood & Art in 2020,” features local and national artists. A reception will be held at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28 at 6:30 p.m., and several special programs are planned for the run of the show. The museum is open 1-4 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday.
- Mathematics Made Visible by the Mesilla Valley Fractal Artists will be on display the entire month of February at Funky Karma Incense & Tea, 3207 S. Main St. A reception will be held 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15, during which visitors will be able to make their own fractals to print out and take home. Funky Karma is open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday.
- Mesilla Valley Fine Arts Gallery, 2470-A Calle de Guadalupe in Mesilla, will display various media by gallery artists Feb. 1-29. A reception will be held 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15. The gallery is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.
- Members of the New Mexico Watercolor Society will offer a variety of artwork at Cafe de Mesilla, 2190 N.M. 28 in Mesilla, Feb. 1-March 31. The cafe is open 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Monday.
- Gallery artists at Agave Artists Co-op Gallery, 2250 Calle de Albino in Mesilla, will exhibit works of oil, watercolor, acrylic, glass, pottery and photography throughout February. A reception will be held 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8. The gallery is open 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Monday. Agave Artists will also host a Plein Air Paint Out 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, in Josefina’s Courtyard Garden just outside the Agave Artists Co-op Gallery.
- In Effect Gallery, 3390 Apple Cross Place, presents its fifth annual Erotica art show and sale, 6-10:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14. Additional showings will be 1-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 15-16. The show features the works of 25-30 artists from the area and across the country and will include more than 120 pieces in many media and styles.
- The Mesilla Valley Film Society will screen “Van Gogh & Japan” Feb. 21-27 at the Fountain Theatre, 2469 Calle de Guadalupe in Mesilla. Info: visit mesillavalleyfilm.org.
- Las Cruces Ukes will present For the Love of Music, 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 16, at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 225 W. Griggs Ave. The free performance will include love- and art-related songs such as “Mona Lisa,” “Starry, Starry Night,” “I Just Called to Say I Love You” and “L-O-V-E.” Members of the Las Cruces Ukes Teen Club at Arrowhead Park Early College High School will be guest performers.
- Sin Fronteras/Writers Without Borders will have poetry readings 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 29, at the Center for Spiritual Living, 575 N. Main St. downtown.