Welcome to our new web site!
To give our readers a chance to experience all that our new website has to offer, we have made all content freely avaiable, through October 1, 2018.
During this time, print and digital subscribers will not need to log in to view our stories or e-editions.
During a Thursday, April 30, news conference, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced a new public health order, effective May 1-15. Here are statewide changes resulting from that new health order:
Effective May 1:
• Non-essential retailers can open via curbside pickup and delivery service
• State parks can reopen on a modified day-use-only basis as staff is available
• Pet services can reopen
• Golf courses can reopen for golf only
• Gun stores can operate (by appointment only given need for background checks)
What remains closed, restricted:
• Instruction to stay home remains in place for all individuals
• Offices, workspaces, retailers (except for curbside/delivery)
• Dine-in restaurants and bars (except for curbside/delivery)
• Indoor malls, gyms, salons, theaters, casinos remain closed
• Mass gatherings continue to be prohibited
• 14-day quarantine order remains in place for out-of-state airport arrivals
The governor said goals for mid-May include:
• All retailers could operate according to retail COVID-19 safe practices at 20 percent fire code capacity
• Dine-in service at restaurants and bars could be permitted up to 50 percent occupancy, without barstool or standing service
• Gyms and salons, hotels and houses of worship could operate in a limited fashion according to COVID-safe practices
“New Mexicans’ personal decisions will determine whether it will be safe to move forward in mid-May,” the governor said.
Governor’s recommendations if you go out:
• Wear “a multilayer cloth face covering in public settings.”
• Maintain a six-foot distance from others
• Avoid gatherings
• Protect vulnerable populations “by finding ways to connect without face-to-face contact.”
Other COVID-safe practices:
• Stay home
• Wash hands frequently
• Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
• Clean and disinfecting frequently
• Watching for COVID-19 symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat and/or loss of taste or smell.